January 20, 2022
You´ll want to put this dairy-free cashew cheese sauce on everything including your nachos! Made fresh with the NutraMilk - its the perfect substitute for dairy cheese - it´s creamy, has a great consistency and tastes very cheesy.
For this recipe we have generously drizzled it over delicious nachos filled with goodies such as black beans, guacamole, salsa, etc. Add your favorite toppings to make a tempting party appetizer or enjoy when you are craving nachos.
- Bag of nachos
- ½ cup black beans
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup avocado (homemade or store bought)
- ¼ cup salsa or pico de gallo
- Cilantro (to garnish)
- Sour cream (not vegan/optional)
For vegan cashew cheese sauce
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from about 1 large lemon)
- 4 cups water, divided, plus more as needed to thin
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, optional for color
- Place cashew in the NutraMilk and process until you get cashew butter consistency.
- Add lemon juice, 3 cups of the water, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and the salt. Add optional turmeric to make the cheese more yellow/orange and process until well combined.
- Warm in a medium saucepan: add the cheese sauce from the NutraMilk. Using a whisk, warm over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken. Add the last cup of water, depending on how thick or thin you want the sauce to be.
- Add more salt to taste, and Sriracha if using, depending on your spice preference. If the cheese sauce sits for a while, or you refrigerate the leftovers, it will thicken. Simply warm it again on the stove, adding water as needed to thin. Serve with nachos: add any ingredients you like your nachos to have such as: black beans, avocado or guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, red onions, etc. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Nora Cooks.