July 17, 2020
Plant-Based Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For vegan cheese
- ¼ cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 2 large carrots, sliced in half, lengthwise (optional)
- 8 slices white bread
- vegan butter, to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/4 cup of cashew butter in the NutraMilk for cheese recipe and store the rest for later use.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-high.
- Toss carrots and onions in olive oil and place in the grill, flipping after 4-5 minutes. Remove from grill once tender.
- While veggies are cooking, place all the rest of cheese ingredients in the NutraMilk, press ¨Mix¨ and process until everything is well-combined. It will be very watery at this point.
- Now pour the watery mixture into a small saucepan and bring the heat to medium. Begin to stir with a spatula or spoon.
- After a few minutes, it will begin to get clumpy. Keep stirring, constantly until suddenly it will become super gooey, stretchy, thick and smooth. It will become one big mass of stretchy vegan cheese. Remove from heat as soon as this happens.
- Place butter each slice of bread on 1 side and place on the grill (butter side down).
- Spread cheese on top and additional vegetable toppings if desired.
- Top with another slice of bread, butter side up. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the bottom of the bread is golden brown. Flip and cook for 2-4 minutes more, until the other slice of bread is golden brown as well, then remove from grill. Enjoy!