Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe yields 4 vegan burgers
- 4 burger buns (choose GF option if you prefer)
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 pineapple slices
- 4 leaves of butterhead lettuce or greens of choice
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- About 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
For BBQ sauce
- 5 cups organic ketchup
- 4 tbsp. peanut or almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or brown sugar*
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (use tamari or coconut aminos for GF)
- 2 tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha, or other hot sauce
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Start by making the peanut butter for BBQ sauce.
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Set aside 4 tbps. for BBQ sauce and store the rest for later use.
- Add all BBQ sauce ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Makes about 2 cups. Set aside and store leftover in the refrigerator up to a week.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-high.
- Place the mushroom caps in the bowl and toss with BBQ sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes,
- Place the mushrooms on the grill, reserving BBQ marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until tender, brushing with marinade frequently.
- Add pineapple slices and onions to the grill (lid closed) and cook until tender.
- Add buns to the cooler side of the grill for a few minutes before taking everything out.
- Remove everything and make your burger in the order that you prefer most.
- You can add any other ingredients you desire such as cheese; make it a double Portobello mushroom if you love mushrooms like me; add all the sauce you want. Enjoy!