November 04, 2021
Pasta with Creamy Cashew Tomato Sauce
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Adding nut or seed butters to sauces is a great way to add healthy nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and plan-based protein to your meal. Plus, it creates a creamy texture and adds loads of flavor. This recipe is a great example- upgrade your tomato sauce! Give it a try!
- 3 cups pasta of choice (gluten-free option)
For cashew cream tomato sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 2 cups strained tomatoes (or canned tomatoes – look for ones with no added salt or sugar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, if you like some spice)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain when cooked.
- Add all sauce ingredients to the NutraMilk and process ingredients until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Stir in the creamy tomato sauce, toss until pasta is coated, and serve. You can add some fresh basil, cracked pepper, or red pepper flakes on top if you desire.