Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Introducing different gluten-free flours to your diet, especially if you are on a gluten-free diet, can really open up a new world of options, new flavors and more nutrition. In this recipe we have used lentils to make lentil flour in the NutraMilk as well as almond cashew milk to make delicious savory crepes. They are super easy to make, they are filled with all the healthy nutrients from lentils, almonds and cashews and can be filled with anything you like. Enjoy!
For lentil crepes
- 1 cup lentil flour made in the NutraMilk
- 1 egg (optional)*
- 1 cup plant-based milk made in the NutraMilk (I used cashew-almond milk I had frozen)
- butter or oil, for cooking
For almond milk
- 1/2 cup (150g) almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) cashews
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For creamy mushroom spinach filling
- 300g mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Cashew cheese sauce, or you can use shop-bought vegan cream cheese
- Olive oil
For almond cashew Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds and cashews in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond cashew milk.
To make lentil flour with the NutraMilk, check out the simple instructions here.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, egg and plant-based milk of choice.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes. Stir again before using.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or crepe maker with a knob of butter or oil.
- In a circular motion, pour about ½ cup of the batter onto pan- swirling into a circle to create a thin layer. If the batter does not spread easily, you may need to add additional water to the batter.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then turn over and cook until golden on the the other side. Repeat until you have used all the batter, stirring the between crepes and adding more butter or oil for cooking as necessary.
Creamy mushrooms and spinach filling.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and cook the sliced mushrooms on medium heat for a few minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the spinach and stir well to allow it to cook down.
- Add a few dollops of the vegan cheese sauce and stir everything together. Add a drop of water if it's too thick. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes to heat through.
- Assemble crepes with creamy mushroom spinach. Enjoy!
*If vegan, omit the egg.