February 18, 2020
Easy Rainbow Vegan Falafels 5-ways by Alphafoodie
Images and recipe by Alphafoodie
*Servings 24 falafels
For the vegan falafels base:
7.5 cups pre-soaked chickpeas, divided into 5 bowls (1.5 cups each)
5 small red onions
5x garlic cloves
5tsp falafel spice (1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp ground coriander, a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)) - that's 1 tsp for each bowl
a pinch of salt
For the different colors/ flavors:
- for green: a small bunch of coriander; optional - some parsley
- for purple: 1 baked purple potato
- for orange: 1/2 baked butternut squash; optional - a pinch of turmeric
- for red: 1 large beetroot
- 5 tbsp. baking powder (1 tbsp. for each color)
- sunflower oil (enough to fill up your saucepan)
For Vegan Tahini dip:
- 1/2 cup plant-based yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- a pinch cumin powder
- a pinch of salt
- filtered water (in case the dressing is too thick)
- A selection of your favorite veggies - cucamelons, candy beetroot, golden beetroot, red beetroot, rainbow carrots, purple radish, watermelon radish, rainbow tomatoes, mushrooms, pink radicchio, or any others that you like.
- Wash the chickpeas and then leave them to soak in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse well, when ready to proceed with the falafel recipe.
- Separate them into 5 bowls - one bowl for each color.
- To prepare the falafels 5 ways, you'll need to prepare each color ingredient. First - the butternut squash. To prepare this simply slice and de-seed the squash, chop into sections, brush lightly with oil and season salt and pepper. Bake in the oven at 170°C fan assisted, for about 25-30 minutes.
- At the same time, pierce the purple potatoes a few times with a fork and bake alongside the squash.
- To make the yellow falafel, just mix the base ingredients: 1.5 cups of chickpeas, 1 small onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp falafel spice and a pinch of salt. Blend them in the Nutramilk Processor until you obtain a smooth uniform mixture.
- To make the green falafel, mix the base ingredients together with a small bunch of coriander - and, optionally, add in some parsley. Blend in the Nutramilk Processor until you obtain a smooth uniform mixture.
- To make the purple falafel, mix the base ingredients together with the baked purple potato. Blend till a smooth uniform mixture.
- To make the orange falafel, mix the base ingredients together with the baked half butternut squash and blend till smooth.
- To make the red/pink falafel, mix the base ingredients together with a large beetroot and blend till smooth.
- When you are ready to fry the vegan falafels, add 1 Tbsp. baking powder to each bowl and mix well. The baking powder should only be added at the last moment before frying. This adds an 'airiness' to the mix that is needed for the perfect texture.
- Heat up a few inches of sunflower oil in a saucepan until it bubbles softly. Using a falafel scoop or a spoon/fork, form the falafels patties by hand and carefully dip them in the hot oil.
- After 3-4 minutes, carefully turn them over. The falafels are ready when they become golden-brown in color.
- Lay on a piece of paper towel or in a colander to drain any excess cooking oil, although there shouldn't be much!
- To prepare the vegan tahini dip, mix all the dip ingredients together well and set aside.
- Serve these 5 way falafels with rainbow veggies, pita bread and vegan tahini dip as part of a mezze platter. It's great for dinner parties!
See full recipe and tips here: https://www.alphafoodie.com/easy-rainbow-vegan-falafels-5-ways/