Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Making your own baby food couldn’t be easier!
Here is a perfect example of a basic nourishing squash puree. Add some peanut butter for creaminess, flavor, calories and nutrients plus a dash of cinnamon to get baby´s taste buds exploring new flavors.
Contrary to what most believe, peanuts and other nuts can safely be introduced between 6-8 months according to American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). For as long as I can remember, peanuts and other tree nuts where a definite "no-no" for babies, but now, guidelines show that early exposure to these could actually significantly decrease the chances of your baby developing a nut allergy. For more information check out the following article: Can My Baby Have Nut Butter?.
- 1/3 cup pureed butternut squash or pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-6 tbsp. nut butter of choice made with the NutraMilk (I used peanut butter)
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Cook butternut squash by boiling or steaming till tender. You can also bake in the over for more flavor or you can used canned pumpkin puree.
- Mix all ingredients in the NutraMilk or mix by hand and serve. You can also make a bigger batch and freeze to have on hand.