May 12, 2021
Carrot Dogs with Almond Butter Marinade
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
A delicious and healthier meatless alternative to hot dogs.
Hot dogs are really one of the most processed foods out there and I have always avoided them, carrot dogs are a great replacement when your grilling or need a quick bite to eat. Perfect for kid’s parties too!
Cooked whole carrots soak up tons of flavor when marinated- so that´s the key - the delicious marinades you can create and the variety of toppings you can add for texture and more flavor.
Try this super simple but delicious marinade which can also be used on anything else you want to marinade. Enjoy!
For carrot dogs
- 4-6 carrots, marinated
- 4-6 hot dog buns (GF option if needed)
- toppings of choice: onion, pickles, ketchup, mustard, etc.
For almond butter marinade
- 2 tbsp. almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 tsp. Sriracha or similar hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
For almond butter
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Cut and peel carrots to make them about "bun length' if they are large carrots.
- Boil carrots in water until just fork tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your marinade:
- Start by making almond butter if you don’t have a batch already made:
- Place almonds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- In a bowl combine marinade ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add water to get a thinner consistency o more almond butter for a thicker/richer consistency.
- When carrot dogs are done, let the cool and put them in a bag with marinade sauce and let them marinade for 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to eat-heat up your grill and grill them until they have grill marks on all sides (turn them every few minutes).
- Prepare your carrot buns. Choose the toppings you like. I kept it simple with some chopped red onion, fresh peppers, ketchup & mustard, but the options are endless. You can serve with chili on top, with chickpea salad, with avocado, sauerkraut, etc. Enjoy!