May 27, 2019
Fresh Orange Sherbet
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Sometimes you just need comforting foods like this sweet tangy treat to cool off. This orange sherbet is simple and sweet. It doesn’t have all those chemical additives you get with the store-bought sherbets. We used almond milk to give it a creamy and rich finish. Enjoy!
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1 ½ Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 7 oz granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, chilled
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Set 1 ½ cup aside for recipe and store the rest in a container for later use.
- Add all ingredients except the milk to the Nutramilk Bowl (preferably the Butter/Smoothie Bowl).
- Process until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 1 minute. Add the mixture to a large mixing bowl, then whisk in the milk.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill for 1 hour.
- Add the mixture to an ice cream maker, chilled according to manufacturer’s direction. Process until it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze mixture in 30 minute intervals, whisking between each, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately, if you prefer a softer texture. Otherwise, place the mixture in an airtight container or loaf pan covered with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours. Enjoy!