April 23, 2019
Vegan Mexican Cheese Sauce
Recipe prepared by NutraMilk Nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by The Vegan 8
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For cheese sauce
- 3/4 cup (108g) of cashew butter* made with the NutraMilk
- 3/4 cup (180g) salsa
- 3/4 cup (180g) water
- 6 tablespoons (36g) nutritional yeast
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cumin (to preferred taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/16 teaspoon salt
*You may also use sesame seed butter (8 tablespoons) instead of cashew butter.
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Once cashew butter is made - add the rest of the ingredients to the NutraMilk and mix for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Taste and add any more salt if desired.
- Add the sauce to a small pot and turn the heat to low. Let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally just until it's thickened up. The color will darken some after cooking, to a truer cheesy color.
- Pour in a serving bowl and serve with chips, over tacos, burritos, etc.