December 22, 2022
Roasted Carrot Hummus Quesadilla Appetizer
Your family and friends will go crazy for these delicious plant-based quesadillas. No cheese required! Filled with a deliciously creamy hummus that has a subtle sweet taste. You can keep it simple with just this tasty hummus and serve with guacamole or you can add any other ingredients you like in the quesadilla such as your favorite roasted veggies or sun dried tomatoes and basil. Enjoy!
For the Roasted Carrots:
- 8-10 medium carrots scrubbed well and cut into big chunks ( about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper freshly ground
For the Hummus:
- ¼ cup cashew sesame butter made with the NutraMilk
- 3 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp. water more if needed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Tortillas of choice (corn or flour)
- 1 tsp. black or white sesame seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
For sesame seed butter
- 1 cup (110g) raw sesame seeds (white or brown)
- 1 cup (150g) raw cashews
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making cashew sesame butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 10-12 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave ¼ cup of butter in the NutraMilk for recipe and store the rest for later use.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the carrots and garlic onto the prepared sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ground cumin, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted carrots and garlic into the NutraMilk bowl with the cashew sesame butter. Add in the chickpeas and the rest of hummus ingredients. Process until the hummus is creamy.
- Taste for seasoning and add in more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cook or heat up tortillas of choice: Spread hummus and fold. Cut in to triangles to serve as appetizer
- Serve with guacamole or smashed avocado and more of this carrot dip.
- Garnish dip with a drizzle of olive oil and parsley or cilantro if using.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Foolproof Living.