*Prep time 5 minutes
*Cook time 35 minutes
*Total time 40 minutes
*Calories 223Kcal (per serving)
- 1.5 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 3 Tbsp. cacao powder or dutch processed cocoa/dark cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. almond butter or cashew, peanut, coconut butter…
- 2 Tbsp. espresso or 1 Tbsp. instant coffee dissolved in 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Water or milk or aquafaba if needed for thinner consistency
To Prepare the chickpeas
You can follow this process to prepare chickpeas from dried. The basic steps include soaking them for 8 hours, then straining, rinsing, and then boiling until tender (35-40 minutes).
If you're using tinned chickpeas, then you don't have to do any prep. Although, if you want super creamy results, you cook the chickpeas with 1/2 tsp baking soda for 15-20 minutes until the chickpeas become mushy.
To Blend the chocolate hummus
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. This can take several minutes depending on how smooth you want the chocolate hummus to be.
- Finally, taste the hummus and adjust any of the ingredients; adding more sweetener, nut butter, cocoa powder, etc.
- Enjoy as an appetizer, snack, or dessert – topped and served in several ways. You can also serve it alongside several breakfast/dessert dishes: pancakes, french toast, scones, overnight oats, chia pudding, etc.