Recipe inspired by The California Walnut Board.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For the Walnut Butter:
- 2 cups walnuts
- Pinch salt (optional)
For the Roasted Pears:
- 2 ripe yet firm pears
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Bread of choice: whole-wheat, french baguette or sourdough bread sliced into 6 pieces
- Honey for drizzling (about 2 tbsps) or maple syrup if vegan
- To make walnut butter:
- Place walnuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Use amount necessary to layer bread and store the rest for later use.
To make the roasted pears:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the pears and cut them in half. Remove the cores. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the sugar over the top. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch pieces and put the pieces in a bowl. Stir in the parsley. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To assemble the crostini:
- Toast the bread in the toaster or under the broiler. Spread some of the walnut butter on top of the bread, spoon some pears on top and drizzle with honey.