February 12, 2019
Super Seed Pumpkin Butter Energy Bars
Recipe from Fit Mitten Kitchen.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk Nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Seeds pack a lot of nutrition even though they are small. There are many ways of including them in your diet but here is a super easy way to get all the goodness of several seeds and a few anti-inflammatory spices in one nutrient and energy-dense bar- basically you mix all ingredients with some nut or seed butter and honey to hold them together, chill for a few minutes and enjoy a delicious nourishing snack. These are a great source of fiber, protein and healthy fats that are satiating and also offer a ton of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to boost your diet. Plus, they are vegan (use brown rice syrup), dairy-free and gluten-free.
IngredientsFor pumpkin seed butter
- 2 cups (236g) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds/pepitas
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seed butter or any creamy nut or seed butter
- 4 Tbsp brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- Making pumpkin butter
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 10-11 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 2-3 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Line a 9" loaf pan or 8" pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, and turmeric.
- Add in pumpkin seed butter, brown rice syrup or honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Use a large sturdy spatula to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press evenly into corners. Refrigerate pan for 20 minutes or freeze for 10 minutes. Lift parchment out of pan and set on cutting board. Using a large sharp knife, cut bars into 12 squares (or 16 for smaller servings).
- Wrap bars individually with parchment paper for easy grab-n-go, or store in container. Bars keep best in fridge. Enjoy!