January 11, 2023
Plant-Based Waffle Cake
Stack these plant-based waffles with coconut whipped cream in between layers, top with fresh strawberries and chocolate nut butter for a delicious breakfast treat! Enjoy!
- 500g plain flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 125g (½ cup) vegan butter, plus extra for the waffle iron
- 125g cup sugar of choice
- 1 2/3 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk
For waffle cake
- Fresh strawberries
- Coconut whipped cream or other vegan whipped cream
- Chocolate nut butter made with the NutraMilk
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Mix the flour and baking powder with ½ tsp salt in a bowl. Mix the vegan butter with the caster sugar in a separate bowl.
- Pour milk gradually into the dry ingredients, continually stirring, then add the butter and sugar mixture and keep stirring to form a smooth batter. Add a little more water or almond milk if the mixture is very thick – you should be able to spoon it out.
- Heat the waffle iron. Butter both sides of the waffle iron.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. of the batter into the hot waffle iron, close and cook for 4-6 mins until golden brown (the time will vary depending on your waffle iron). Remove the finished waffle and cook the rest of the batter in the same way.
- To assemble cake: spread coconut whipped cream in between each layer. Garnish with fresh strawberries and chocolate nut butter made with the NutraMilk or any toppings you like.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by BBC Food.