Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Nora Cooks.
A delicious plant-based version of French toast- perfect for pumpkin season. No eggs needed just a special easy-to-make sauce made from plant-based milk and pumpkin puree. Enjoy!
We love cooking with pumpkin seed milk-its creamy, has a very subtle flavor and its loaded with healthy nutrients.
- 1 cup pumpkin seed milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp.ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 8-9 pieces thick bread, such as Texas toast or sourdough (Choose gluten-free option if appropiate)
- vegan butter, for the pan
For pumpkin seed milk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (90 g)
- 1 quart water (946 mL)
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making pumpkin seed milk
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- In a shallow bowl, wide enough to fit a piece of bread, whisk together the milk, pumpkin puree, cornstarch, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger together until well combined.
- In a large non-stick pan, add a tablespoon or so of vegan butter (or coconut oil) over medium-high heat and let it melt. Whisk the batter once more right before dipping the bread.
- Dip each side of the bread, then add to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Add more vegan butter to the pan as needed between slices.
- Serve with vegan butter, maple syrup. Serve them whole or slice bread in strips. Enjoy!