Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Yes, Yes! Peanut butter-filled hash brown sandwiches are one of my favorite new breakfast items. Thanks to the smooth, creamy peanut butter made in the NutraMilk, these are mouthwatering. Adding peanut butter to hash browns is not only such a delicious combination but peanuts adds lots of healthy nutrients to balance out the high carb content of potatoes. Plant-based protein, fiber, heart-healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and loads of antioxidants. Enjoy!
For details about the healthy nutrients in peanuts, click here.
For Hash Browns
- 2 medium russet potatoes, shredded
- ¼ cup Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (optional)*
- 1 cup oil for frying, or as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Shred potatoes with a cheese grater and rinse shredded potatoes until water is clear, then drain and squeeze dry. Place shreds in a bowl, and mix in flour and egg until evenly distributed.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is sizzling hot, place potatoes into the pan in a 1/2 - inch thick layer. You can use a metal round or oval cutter if you want to give it an even shape. Place it on the pan just a few seconds until you pour potatoes and they take form.
- Make separate piles like pancakes. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side. It should take at least 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Take 2 hash browns and add desired amount of peanut butter to one and cover with the other hash brown to make a delicious breakfast sandwich. Enjoy!
Notes:*omit egg for vegan recipe.