March 25, 2022
Maple Pecan Granola
For all the pecan lovers this granola has a rich pecan flavor thanks to the pecan butter made in the NutraMilk plus the roasted pecans mixed in with the rest of the ingredients.
Check out all the healthy nutrients that pecans provide, here.
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup pecans rough-chopped
- 1/3 cup pecan butter made with the Nutramilk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds hulled
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil virgin, unrefined, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- optional add ins: 1/2 cup of chocolate chips* (pre bake - see note). or a few handfuls of chopped dried fruit such as chopped turkish apricot, sour cherries, cranberries or raisins (post bake).
For pecan butter butter
- 2 cups (220g) raw pecans
- 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making pecan butter
- Place pecans and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set 3-4 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open container lid. If, necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Set aside 1/3 cup for granola and store the rest for later use.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set oven to 275F (135C). Place a baking rack in the center of the oven.
- In a mixing bowl, add the rolled oats, pecans, coconut, sunflower seeds, salt, cinnamon, and chocolate chips (optional). Set aside.
- In a spouted measuring cup, combine the melted coconut oil, pecan butter, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste. Stir. You will see separation. If the coconut oil solidifies, gently rewarm it in the microwave to keep it in a liquid state.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix throughly, ensuring that each, individual dry ingredient gets some wet on it. Press the granola into the pan, in one even layer.
- Place the pan in preheated oven and bake at 275F (135C) for 1 hour. Check the granola. At this point it should be slightly golden and fragrant. Rotate the pan, turn the oven up to 300F (148C), and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes OR until golden and fragrant ---> keep an eye on the granola during the last 20 minutes of baking due to oven temperature variation - it should be golden when done. Do not stir the granola, or clustering will be greatly reduced.
- Remove from the oven. The granola will be golden and soft to the touch. It will firm up as it cools. Allow the granola to cool completely in the pan before transferring to a storage container. Doing this will ensure crunchy clusters. If desired, toss in your favorite dried fruit such as chopped Turkish apricot, sour cherries, cranberries or raisins.
- Store in a covered container, at room temperature, for up to three weeks. Granola can also be frozen for up to one month.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.