Prepared and photographed by Florencia Tagliavini, the NutraMilk nutritionist.
Recipe adapted from Sweet Simple Vegan.
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
For oatmeal bars
- 3 chia eggs (3 tablespoons chia seeds + 9 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups gluten-free quick oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour*(can be made with the NutraMilk from rolled oats)
- 1/4–1/3 cup coconut sugar (adjust sweetness to taste)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional add-ins, such as:
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips or 1/3 cup chopped nuts or 1/3 cup dried fruit.
*You can make oat flour in the NutraMilk by placing oats and pressing butter until you get a flour-like consistency.
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Set aside ½ cup of peanut butter and store the rest for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, prepare the chia eggs. Combine 3 tablespoons of chia seeds with 9 tablespoons of water and set it aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- In another small bowl, combine the quick oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In medium bowl, add in the two ripe bananas. With a fork, mash them well until the are completely broken down. Mix in the peanut butter and vanilla. Once the chia eggs are ready, add them to the mixture along with the dry ingredients. Mix everything together until they are well combined and uniform. Add in any optional ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined baking dish and using a spoon or a spatula, spread the mixture out until it fills the pan. Flatten out the top as best you can. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until firm and golden browned.
- Remove the bars from the oven and cool completely, or even better overnight. Cut into 9 bars and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.