August 01, 2019
Chocolate Watermelon Seed Spread with Socca
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Jessica Grosman.
Socca (Farinata) is a traditional dish from Niece, France. It´s basically chickpea flour bread. A cross in between a crepe and a flatbread. It´s gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and super easy to make. Typically, it’s a savory dish but we’ve used our sweet chocolate watermelon seed spread and topped with strawberries and fresh mint. Delicious and nutritious as always! Loaded with all the right nutrients from protein, fiber, healthy fats, various vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
For watermelon seed butter
- 2 cups (224g) watermelon seeds
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. sweetener of choice such as honey, maple syrup, stevia, date paste, etc.
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- water (if you want a liquid consistency)
For socca or chickpea bread
- 1 cup chickpea flour (garbanzo flour)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup room temperature water
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seed oil
- 1/3 cup watermelon seed chocolate spread made with the NutraMilk
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Making chocolate watermelon seed spread
- Place watermelon seeds, cacao, sweetener and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Add ¼ to ½ cup water if you prefer a more liquid consistency and press mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and salt. Slowly add the water, whisking continuously until mixture is smooth. When the oven has reached 450 degrees, whisk the sunflower seed oil into the chickpea flour mixture.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and quickly pour the chickpea batter into the skillet. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The socca is ready when it is firm and the edges are starting to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the watermelon seed chocolate spread over the top, leaving an uncovered edge. Top with sliced strawberries and sprinkle with sliced mint. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.