Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired byLifemadesweeter.
We love these easy to make granola bars by Lifemadesweeter. We made a few changes to their recipe and of course, added our homemade creamy peanut butter which helps bind everything together, adds a creamy and chewy texture and a load of healthy nutrients including fiber, protein, heart-healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. These bars are especially rich in magnesium, a vital mineral that helps regulate muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels and blood pressure. One single bar provides 33% of the magnesium you need daily!
They are the perfect on the go snack that will leave you satisfied and nourished. Enjoy!
For peanut butter
- 1 cup of raw peanuts
- pinch of Himalayan salt (optional)
For granola bars
- 3 tbsp peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or sub for coconut nectar or brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apple sauce or pureed apples
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats, use gluten-free if you prefer
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted uncooked quinoa or puffed quinoa (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apples, chopped
- First, make the peanut butter.
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid and take out peanut butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil, coconut nectar, and coconut sugar over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture is slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Remove pot from heat. Stir in vanilla, apple sauce, peanut butter, and salt until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, add the oats, chopped nuts, toasted quinoa, coconut and hemp seeds. Fold in dried apples.
- Transfer the granola mixture into the prepared pan. Using a spatula, press down firmly to flatten and compact tightly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until edges are slightly brown. (For no-bake granola bars - freeze pan for 1 hour, or until bars are set).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, remove bars, use the parchment overhang to transfer the uncut bars to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into even rectangles.