November 21, 2019
White Hot Chocolate
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For hot chocolate
- 4 (3") cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk made with the NutraMilk, divided
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips or white chocolate, chopped (you may choose vegan white chocolate)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Unsweetened whipped cream or coconut cream (if vegan) and ground cinnamon (for serving)
For almond Milk
(I used some almond milk I previously made with the NutraMilk and had frozen)
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open
- and fill your container with almond milk.
- Toast cinnamon sticks in a medium dry saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add salt and 2 cups almond milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep 10 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup almond milk in a small bowl. Add to warm milk mixture and heat over medium. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until warmed through, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and vanilla. Let sit until chocolate is melted, about 30 seconds, then stir to combine. Discard cinnamon sticks. Enjoy!
- Divide hot chocolate between mugs. Top with whipped cream and dust with ground cinnamon.