April 15, 2021
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
These popular hot cacao bombs are actually pretty easy and fun to make. They really do make the perfect cup of hot chocolate! Quality is important. Fresh plant-based milk made with the NutraMIlk is super nutrient dense and so creamy. Make sure to choose a high quality chocolate, a good cacao mix and organic marshmallows if possible (they don’t have all the unnecessary added chemicals just sugar;) you can really choose any filling you like though. Enjoy!
For cacao bombs
- 6 oz. milk chocolate melts, chocolate chips, or chopped bar chocolate
- Mini marshmallows or big marshmallows chopped
- Cacao or hot chocolate powder
- Additional fillings and toppings, as desired
- Plant-based milk of choice made with the NutraMilk (I used almond)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Continue to melting chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again, in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted. Alternatively, melt using a double boiler on the stovetop.
- Fully coat spherical silicone mold with melted chocolate (you can use back of spoon or a pastry brush. Transfer to the freezer to harden for 5 minutes and then paint with a second layer of melted chocolate, concentrating especially around the edges and sides to thicken the shell. Place in the freezer once more until firm, about 5 more minutes. Repeat as needed if there are any thin spots or holes.
- Gently remove the chocolate half-spheres from the molds.
- Fill with amount of hot cocoa mix you desire and marshmallows, as well as any additional fillings you’d like to include.
- Heat any skillet slightly so you can place the place the other half sphere, gently twist so the chocolate just starts to melt around the edges and now you can place on top of the filled sphere. If any gaps remain, use a butter knife to gently fill cracks and creases with melted chocolate from the hot plate.
- To serve, heat milk and pour in a mug. Place a hot cocoa bomb in a mug and stir till it breaks and combines. Enjoy!