April 10, 2020
Caterpillar Energy Bites
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Energy bites can be made from pretty much any nut or seed butter. Check out our various recipes on our site.
This time we made caterpillar bites from pumpkin seed butter in honor of Earth Day. Your kids will love these fun healthy snacks or treats! If you haven’t tried pumpkin seed butter, you must! They are so good for you- loaded with antioxidants and a rich source of zinc, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus which help keep your heart healthy, boost your live function and your immune system. They are super easy to make and so yummy!
For pumpkin seed butter
- 2 cups (236g) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For energy balls
- 1¼ cup GF oat flour (can be made with the NutraMilk from rolled oats)
- 1½ cups peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup, honey, agave nectar or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup ground almonds (or any other nut or seed such as pumpkin seeds - use the NutraMilk to grind)
- ½ tsp. matcha or spirulina (optional- to give it a deep green color)
- 1 tbsp. powdered sugar (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Making pumpkin butter
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 10-11 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Add olive oil and any other seasoning you´d like.
- Press Mix cycle (Do not change default time) and start.
- If necessary, set for an additional 2-3 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Place the oat flour, maple syrup and salt into NutraMilk with the 1 ½ cups of peanut butter and press butter for a few minutes until it forms a dough.
- Take out dough and roll into one ball- from there roll into equal balls and place onto the lined baking sheet - the dough should make about 15 balls.
- Once shaped- roll balls into coating mixture to coat. Roll a second time if necessary.
- Decorate with eyes and caterpillar antenas. I used chocolate chips for the eyes and sliced cucumber but you can use many ingredients you have in your kitchen.