Vegan Pumpkin Carrot Muffins
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Rhiansrecipes
For pumpkin seed milk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (90 g)
- 1 quart water (946 mL)
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 g) coconut oil or sub olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (230 ml) simple pumpkin seed milk (or any other plant-based milk) made with the NutraMilk.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or sub any other sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice (or sub a mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves)
- Pinch of salt
- 100 g (3.5oz) grated carrot (one medium-sized carrot)
- 2/3 cup (100 g) raisins or sultanas
- ¼ cup (30 g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 ¼ cup (150 g) ground almonds or almond meal made with the NutaMilk
- 1 ¼ cup (150 g) gluten-free flour blend or sub plain flour if not gluten-free
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For simple pumpkin seed milk
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
For almond meal
- Place 2 cups of raw almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 1 minutes and press start.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil).
- Once melted, add the milk to the same bowl along with the lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, ginger, mixed spice, salt, grated carrot, raisins, walnuts, desiccated coconut and ground almonds.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry.
- Transfer the mixture between 8 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.