Alfajores with Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
Try our Argentine inspired Alfajores made by our Nutritionist Florencia who actually hails from Argentina! These delectable treats pair oh so well with a Maté Latte, made w/ Yerba Maté and Almond Milk.
For cookie dough:
• 1 cup cornstarch
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
• 2 large egg yolks
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1-2 tsp of lemon zest
• ½ cup of flaked or granulated coconut
• Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Replace butter and eggs with:
• ½ cup of vegetable oil or ¾ cup of vegetable margarine
• 2 tablespoons of almond butter or any nut butter of your choice (optional)
For chocolate Hazelnut filling:
• 2 cups hazelnuts (270 g)
• 1 cup dark chocolate chips (130 g) (or mix white/milk/dark chocolate chips)
- Making chocolate hazelnut butter:
- Place hazelnuts and chocolate chips in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 15-16 minutes (for roasted hazelnuts set for 4-5 minutes)
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Set aside to use as the filling.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar gradually, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest
For vegan Option: Mix together oil, nut butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth.
- Sift together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder and soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough, using as little flour as possible, about 1/4 inch thick. The dough will have an unusual consistency. Cut with a small round cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave enough space between the cookies because they will spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 10-15 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden. Remove the cookies immediately to cool.
- Spread the underside of a cooled cookie with a spoonful of chocolate hazelnut filling then sandwich together with another cookie until the filling oozes out the sides.
- Roll the sides in the shredded coconut.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.