10 Healthy Kids Snacks You Can Make with The NutraMilk
By Florencia Tagliavini, The NutraMilk Nutritionist
Healthy snacks are an important part of children’s diets. Kids seem to always be hungry, so it’s good to be prepared with healthy snacks. Choosing good snacks can give your kids the energy they need between meals and contribute essential nutrients for growth and development. Unhealthy processed snacks will just fill them up with calories. These processed foods are high in sugar, salt, unhealthy fats, and packed with additives and preservatives. This can keep your child from eating his whole plate at dinner, refusing certain foods offered and creating bad eating habits.
Kids need nutrient-dense snacks. Try to use snacks to incorporate fruits and veggies. Nuts and seeds are nutrient-dense foods that provide satiating fiber, heart-healthy fats, plant-protein and a load of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The NutraMilk allows you to be versatile in creating various nut and seed butters for different snacks, so your kids will never get bored. Spreads can be used for savory snacks. Plant-based milks can be used in colorful smoothies and bowls.
Plan ahead and make various nut & seed butters and plant-based milks that you can keep in your fridge – on hand for quick snacks.
Ideas for Healthy & Tasty Kids Snacks
- Toast a whole grain waffle and top with sliced fruit and smooth nut butter.
- Blend homemade plant-based milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for a delicious smoothie or choose one of the many delicious smoothie recipes from our book.
- Smoothie bowl: Have your kids help you in creating a beautiful and fun decorated smoothie bowl. Explore different toppings and layers using a nut butter, dried or fresh fruit, yogurt, cooked oatmeal, shredded or toasted coconut, and/or nuts and seeds. Check out some of our recipes.
- Energy balls: Combine oats, a nut or seed butter of your choice, honey or maple syrup, cacao powder and/or coconut flakes. Make them in to balls and place in the fridge to chill. There are many yummy combinations you can make.
- Sandwich cut-outs: Make a homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread. Cut out your favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shape and the edges, too!
- Frozen Treats: Mix equal amounts homemade coconut milk with 100% fruit juice, then pour into paper cups and freeze for a tasty treat.
- Homemade hummus plate: Teach your kids to eat the rainbow! Arrange colorful veggies like carrots, red and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, and broccoli on their favorite plate. Dip into the “rainbow veggies” into hummus made with the NutraMilk.
- Whip up Mini-Muffins using healthy ingredients, like whole grain flours, pureed fruit, and nut butters.
- Spread celery sticks with smooth nut butter. Top with raisins. Enjoy your “ants on a log”.
- Spread homemade chocolate almond butter on apple slices.
Healthy eating habits begin to form very early in childhood and can last one’s entire adult life. Snacks are just as important as mealtimes and a good chance to educate your kids about eating healthfully. Making homemade meals and snacks is one of the best ways of teaching children to eat fresh and nutritious foods. The NutraMilk makes it too easy! Choose a day of the week to have your kids help you make batches of different nut butters and plant-based milks. They can choose how to flavor them and you’ll have them ready for quick healthy snacks during the week.